Friday 14 December 2012

The Aubin Cinema - WOW, what an experience

I started off writing this post thinking I'd be reviewing the film I saw last night, Seven Psychopaths.

However, despite loving the film and wanting to say some words about it (maybe later...), I find myself desperate to tell you about WHERE I saw it, namely the Aubin Cinema in Shoreditch.
















Being an avid film fan, I am regularly disappointed by the mass market cinemas and their lack of basic comfort. I will typically pay the extra to get 'Premium' seats and even then, all you get is a bit more legroom and a slightly larger seat, but not really a more comfortable one. I find myself regularly fidgeting and trying to get comfortable, which can seriously detract from my overall enjoyment of the film. All of this also comes with a price tag in excess of £20. Add to it the shockingly overpriced food and drinks and I can't help but feeling slightly ripped off by the whole experience.

I had recently seen an article in the Metro about the new 'bed seats' recently installed at the Electric Cinema, Portobello Road, and got very excited about a new type of cinematic experience.

So, imagine my sheer delight at being taken to the Aubin Cinema last night (thanks Skene xx). Why so delighted? Well, it's an experience for adults. Forget 2 litre buckets of coke, you can get a cocktail or a beer and enjoy it whilst you watch the film. Whay joy! Back to the good old days I found myself saying. I remember when that sort of thing was perfectly normal in cinemas 20 years ago when going to the cinema was a proper evening out.

However, the Aubin takes the whole thing one stage further. They have created a cinematic space and experience that is akin to watching a film in your own personal cinema, you know, the one you'd design in your mansion house for all your mates to enjoy if you had the space and the money? :-)

The venue is intimate and warm. There are single and double seats. They are REAL armchairs and sofas! There are CUSHIONS! You can snuggle up with your partner or just settle in next to your mates in the genuinely comfortable seating (Check the pictures).

Everyone has an individual footrest to stretch out their legs, individual tables for drinks, taking off your shoes, puffing your cushion and settling in properly is par for the course and everyone has a lovely soft blanket to thow over themselves to keep warm and cosy throughout.














It's beautifully laid out, the seats all have a fantastic view of the perfectly sized screen and the overall experience is one of sheer delight. It really doesn't matter what you are watching, you will love it.

I cannot recommend this place highly enough. I left wanting more and having thoroughly enjoyed the film, without compromise. I want to go back and see EVERY film there from now on. If you love movies and want to experience a film in a warm, friendly, cosy venue, snuggled up to a partner (or just sitting comfortably with friends!) sipping a cocktail as you watch, then this is the ONLY place to go in London.

Seriously. Go there. You will not be disappointed. It is a truly wonderful experience.

(Photos are taken from of the Aubin's website)

Check out NeelsReelDeal review here as well, which is excellent:
http://neelsreeldeel.com/2012/11/29/the-aubin-cinema/
 

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of going to a cinema in Indiana. It was setup more like a bar with tables and waitress service. Cheap too cos they make money on the drink! As usual we are about 10 years behind the US on these things...

    ReplyDelete